Email & Office Communication
The guidelines for making email accessible are much the same for any electronic document.
- The text should be clear and easy to read
- A font size of 12 points or larger is recommended
- Use a san-serif font since they are easier to read in electronic formats
- Avoid fancy or decorative fonts
- Make sure you are using enough contrast between the text and background colors.
- Use bulleted/numbers lists instead of using symbols
- Use heading styles instead of all caps or bold to indicate headings
- Avoid image only email. For example, do not email pdfs of flyers without also including a text based equivalent in the email.
- Include alt text with any images
- Use descriptive text with any links or buttons
- Microsoft Outlook Email Accessibility: How to make your Outlook email accessible
- Zoom Accessibility: Zoom accessibiity features including live transcriptions
- Microsoft Teams Accessiblity Overview: Teams accessibility features including live captions for meetings
- Accessible Virtual Meetings & Events: Steps to make your virtual meeting or event accessible to everyone
- Slack Accessiblity: Accessible features and standards in Slack